Get Help

Agencies that Handle Reports of Child Abuse

Two agencies handle most reports of child abuse:

  • Child Protective Services (in some states this agency has a different name)
  • The Police


What if I’m Not Sure? Where Do I Go?

  • Child Advocacy Centers coordinate all the professionals (legal and social services) involved in a case. Our local child advocacy center is Blue Sky Bridge.
  • To find one outside of Boulder County, contact the National Children’s Alliance  or at 1-800-239-9950.
  • Child Abuse Helplines have staff specifically trained to deal with questions about suspected child sexual abuse. Please refer to our website’s section National Resources.
  • Local Community Agencies, such as local hotlines, United Way offices, or rape crisis centers can often help.
  • Talk to the child’s parents (as long as they are not the abusers) and provide educational materials, such as the Steps to Protecting Our Children Guide. If the parent seems indifferent or unlikely to take action, call one of the other recommended sources.

These resources can help if you are unsure about whether abuse has occurred, but they do not substitute for making an official report. Remember that you may be a mandated reporter in your state and you may be the only source of protection that the child has.

Immunity and Confidentiality

Under State of Colorado law – persons making good faith reports of suspected abuser or neglect are immune from any liability, both civil and criminal unless a court determines that such person’s behavior was willful, wanton or malicious (C.R.S. 19-3-309).