Remember, over 90% of sex offenders are known to the child. Perhaps you have a concern about a neighbor, coach or other person in your child’s life. Individuals convicted of sexual crimes are required by law to register. Their information is contained on national and sometimes local databases that are easily searchable.
Before you search…..
There are a few of things you need to consider when searching sex offender registries:
- In most cases, juveniles, who are responsible for 30% of child sexual abuse cases, are not included.
- In most cases, individuals convicted of misdemeanor crimes are not included.
- Information from individual states isn’t uploaded to the national registry immediately and timelines for registering differ from state to state.
- In Colorado, local updates/changes to sex offender status must be uploaded to the State registry within 72 hours.
- Individuals will remain on the registry for a period of 5, 10 or 20 years depending on their offense. Sexually violent offenders remain on list for a lifetime.
- Registry lists represent a small proportion of sex offenders in a community since most sexual abuse (nearly 88%) isn’t reported.
Starting your search
Sex Offender Registry Laws have been established as one part of the supervision of individuals who have moved back into communities after being convicted of sex crimes against adults or children. The level of information available varies by state and is posted to the internet. To access available information go to one of the following sites:
National Sex Offender Public Registry
The National Sex Offender Public Registry, coordinated by the Department of Justice, is a cooperative effort between the state agencies hosting public sexual offender registries and the federal government. The National Public Registry allows you to search by a number of different criteria, including city, zip code, and county.
NATIONAL SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY
Colorado Sex Offender Registry
Boulder County Sex Offender Registry
Other useful related links:
Subscribe to Colorado Sex Offender email notifications.
State Sex Offender Registry Websites: The Investigative Programs Crimes Against Children unit of the FBI provides updated links to the sex offender registries of all 50 states.
Family Watchdog: This site allows visitors to enter an address into a field and a map of nearby registered sex offenders will be displayed.
Colorado criminal background checks.